Garfield County School District
145 East Center
Professional Learning Communities
WHEREAS, the Garfield County School District Board of Education believes that a Professional LearningCommunity (PLC) is a dynamic organization of Educators (defined herein as all professional,administrative, or certified employees) committed to working collaboratively in ongoing processes of structured collective inquiry and action research to achieve better results for the students that they serve andProfessional Learning Communities are characterized by:
• a shared mission, vision, values, and goals;
• collaborative teams focused on learning;
• data driven collective inquiry;
• action orientation and experimentation;
• commitment to continuous improvement, and
• a results orientation.
WHEREAS, the Garfield County School District Board of Education believes that as a ProfessionalLearning Community the fundamental purpose of our work in schools is to ensure high levels of learningfor all students and this belief about learning translates into four critical questions that drive the daily work of the staff in our schools:
1) What do we want students to learn? This question requires a complete understanding of what eachstudent should know and be able to do as a result of each unit, grade level, and/or course.
2) How will we know if they have learned? This question requires careful and meaningful monitoringof each student’s learning on a timely basis?
3) What will we do if they don’t learn? This question must address the unique issues and concernsnecessary to create systematic learning opportunities for students who are experiencing difficultyand thereby provide them with additional time and support.
4) What will we do if they already know it? This question is focused on creating enrichmentopportunities, recognition, and celebrations to reward student achievement.
WHEREAS, the Garfield County School District Board of Education believes that as a ProfessionalLearning Community it is essential for us to build and maintain a collaborative culture throughout our entireschool system and this belief about collaborative culture is based on the understandings that:
• Frequent, meaningful, and measurable collaborative time is embedded as an essentialfunction of an Educator’s daily responsibility, allowing disciplinary teams to work interdependently to achieve common goals linked to their collective mission of learning.
• Schools improve when Educators are given the time and support to work together to clarifyessential student learning, develop common assessments for learning, analyze evidence of student learning, and use that evidence for continuous improvement in order to “raise the bar”and “close the gap” of student learning
WHEREAS, the Garfield County School District Board of Education believes that as a Professional Learning Community we must focus on results and this belief about a focus on resultsis based on the understandings that:
• We will measure our effectiveness on the basis of results rather than intentions.
• All programs, policies, and practices will be continually assessed on the basis of their impact on student learning.
• All staff members will receive relevant and timely information on their effectiveness inachieving intended results.
WHEREAS, the Garfield County School District Board of Education believes that effective Educatorshave a profound impact on student achievement and to be highly effective, Educators must work toachieve the collective purpose as measured by results established under this resolution.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Garfield County School District Board of Education commits to supporting the continuous total system implementation of the concepts of aProfessional Learning Community espoused herein and the creation and annual review of measurableProfessional Learning Community interventions and practices that recursively reports the progress of our children. Further, the Garfield County School District expects every Educator to effectively andactively participate in a District and/or school assigned Professional Learning Community activities.Participation is an essential responsibility of every Educator in the Garfield County School District.
Signed and dated this the day of March 13, 2014.
Ken Platt Cheryl Cox
Mike Savage Myron Cottam
Collectively as the Garfield County School District Board of Education