Code of Ethics
As a school board member:
- I will be a staunch advocate of free public education.
- I will uphold and enforce all laws, state board rules and regulations and court orders pertaining to schools. Desired changes should be brought about only through legal and ethical procedures.
- I will make decisions in terms of the educational welfare of children and will strive for public schools which can meet the individual needs of all children regardless of their ability, race, sex, creed or social standing.
- I will join with my fellow members on the board, the staff, the community and the students in continuing study of the nature, value and direction of contemporary education in our society in order to facilitate needed change in our schools.
- I will work unremittingly to help the people of my community understand the importance of public education and the need to support it.
- I will strive to ensure that people are accurately informed about our schools, and I will try to interpret to the staff the aspirations of the community for its schools.
- I will recognize that my responsibility is not to run the schools, but, together with my fellow board members, to see that they are well run.
- I will confine my board action to policy making, planning and appraisal, and I will help to frame policies and plans only after the board has consulted those who will be affected by them.
- I will arrive at conclusions only after discussing all aspects of the issues at hand with my fellow board members assembled in meeting.
- I will recognize that authority rests with the whole board assembled in legally authorized meetings and will make no personal promises nor take any private action which may compromise the board.
- I will refuse to surrender my independent judgment to special interest or partisan political groups or to use the schools for personal gain or for the gain of friends.
- I will hold confidential all matters pertaining to the schools which, if disclosed, would needlessly injure individuals or the schools.
- I will vote to appoint, upon proper recommendation by the appropriate administrative officer, the best trained technical and professional personnel available.
- I will support and protect school personnel in proper performance of their duties.
- I will refer all complaints to the chief administrative officer and will act on such complaints at legally authorized meetings only after failure of an administrative solution.