The Board shall hold its regularly scheduled meetings at the location specified in its annual notice of meetings, and shall hold other meetings at the location specified in the public notice of such meetings.
The Board shall hold its meetings within the geographic boundaries of the school district. However, a Board meeting may be held outside of the district in certain circumstances of disaster or local emergency or for certain site visits.
The Board may hold a meeting outside of the district if that is necessary to hold a meeting during a local emergency or disaster. A “local emergency” means a condition in any municipality or county of the state that requires that emergency assistance be provided by the affected municipality or county or another political subdivision to save lives and protect property within its jurisdiction in response to a disaster or to avoid or reduce the threat of a disaster. A “disaster” is an event that
- causes, or threatens to cause, loss of life, human suffering, property damage, or economic or social disruption resulting from attack, internal disturbance, natural phenomenon, or technological hazard and
- requires resources beyond the scope of local agencies in routine responses to emergencies and accidents and may be of a magnitude or involve unusual circumstances that require response by a governmental, not-for-profit, or private entity.
The Board may hold a meeting outside of the district for a site visit if no vote or other action is taken and the location of the site visit provides the Board the opportunity to see or experience an activity that relates to the Board’s responsibilities and does not exist within the geographic boundaries of the district.
Location of workshops or executive sessions—
Where the Board holds a workshop or executive session on the same day as a regularly scheduled Board meeting, the workshop or executive session must be held at the same location as the regularly scheduled meeting, unless:
- The regularly scheduled meeting is not being held where those meetings are usually held, and the workshop or executive session is held in the usual meeting location; or
- Any of the meetings being held on the same day is a site visit or traveling tour for which appropriate public notice has been given; or
- The workshop or executive session is an electronic meeting and the requirements for holding such a meeting have been satisfied; or
- Because of emergency or extraordinary circumstances, it is not practicable to hold the workshop or executive session at the regular location where Board meetings are held.