Limitations on Extra Duty Assignments
For purposes of this policy, “extra duty assignment” means an appointment which is in addition to the regular work duties of the employee, such as an assignment for coaching or directing athletics, choirs, bands, debate programs, drama and similar extracurricular activities.
For purposes of this policy, “volunteer” is a person who donates services without pay or other compensation except expenses actually and reasonably incurred, reasonable benefits and/or a nominal fee.
Extra Duty Employment Not Available to Classified Employees
Classified employees are prohibited from being employed in an extra duty position. Although a classified employee is prohibited from being employed under an extra duty contract appointment, a classified employee desiring to assist with extra duty activities may be approved as a volunteer if the conditions outlined in the Classified Employee Request to Volunteer in Extra Duty Assignment are met.
Career Status Not Available in Extra Duty Assignment—
Certified employees do not acquire an expectation of continued employment or career status in the extra duty portion of any contract. The District retains the right to terminate extra duty appointments and the pay for such extra duty appointments within its sole discretion at the end of a contract term.
Classified Employee Request to Volunteer in Extra Duty Assignment
- I work hourly for the Garfield County School District as _________________________.
- I would like to volunteer my services with the ___________________________ team/club/activity.
- I would like to volunteer as __________________________________________.
- I affirm that the duties I perform in my job with the District are not related to the duties I would perform in my volunteer position.
- I understand that as a volunteer, I will not receive wages or a salary for the services I volunteer.
- I understand that the District may reimburse me for expenses actually and reasonably incurred, provide me with a per diem to cover expenses, and/or provide me with a nominal stipend for my volunteer services, but I acknowledge and agree that this stipend in no way is the equivalent of an hourly wage or a salary for the hours I volunteer. I further understand the amount of the stipend is not dependent upon the outcome of the team’s season/club’s events.
- I acknowledge and affirm that I have not been required to volunteer as a condition of my employment, that no pressure has been brought to bear against me by anyone at the District, that no threats have been made against my hourly job with the District if I failed to volunteer, that I am free to relinquish my role as a volunteer without fear that doing so will have any impact on my hourly job with the District and that no promises have been made to me that I would receive better treatment, promotions, or anything else to do with my hourly job at the District if I do volunteer.
These are my reasons for wanting to volunteer:
Employee Signature Date
(Signature of Employee Requesting to Volunteer)