Reading Assessment for K-3
Subject to legislative appropriations, District elementary schools shall administer the State Board of Education approved benchmark reading assessments at the beginning (before September 30), in the middle (between December 1 and January 31), and at the end (between the middle of April and June 15) of grade one, grade two and grade three.
Following each benchmark assessment, the school shall notify parents or guardians of their student’s results by October 30, the last day of February, and June 30, respectively. The District shall also report the results to the State Superintendent by the same dates, together with the additional information required by Rule R277-406-3(6).
If a benchmark assessment or a supplemental reading assessment indicates that a student is scoring below benchmark, the school shall take the notification and reading remediation interventions outlined below.
Utah Admin. Rules R277-406-3(1) to (5) (November 9, 2020)
Scoring Below Benchmark—
A student scores below benchmark when the student performs below the benchmark score on the benchmark reading assessment and requires additional instruction beyond that provided to typically developing peers in order to close the gap between the student’s current level of achievement and that expected of all students in that grade. For any first, second, or third grade student who through assessment is determined to be scoring below benchmark, the school shall take the following actions:
- Notify the student’s parent that the student is reading below grade level;
- Provide focused individualized intervention to develop the reading skill;
- Administer formative assessments to measure the success of the focused intervention;
- Inform the parent of activities that he or she may engage in with the student to assist the student in improving reading proficiency; and
- Provide information to the parent of the student regarding reading interventions available to the student outside regular instructional time that may include tutoring, before and after school programs, or summer school.
Utah Admin. Rules R277-406-2(11) (November 9, 2020)
Utah Admin. Rules R277-406-3(4)(a) (November 9, 2020)