- “Athletic activity” means physical education instruction or a sports event that is sponsored or regulated by the District or a District school or school sports team.
- “School sports team” means a team on which the student represents the student’s school in competition against another school or in competition against other students within the same school.
- “Athletic uniform” means clothing, headwear, shoes, or other items worn for participation in an athletic activity that are required to be
- A specified style, length, material, or color, or
- Worn in a specified manner, or
- Worn with or without other items or clothing or headwear.
Required Accommodation of Religious Beliefs—
A student participating in an athletic activity may not be prohibited from wearing religious clothing with an athletic uniform. A student also may not be prohibited from wearing clothing under or with an athletic uniform to cover or conceal parts of the student’s body (consistent with the student’s religious beliefs) which are not covered or concealed by an athletic uniform. However, the additional clothing may not substantially cover an athletic uniform.
Whether or not the student is wearing an athletic uniform, a student participating in an athletic activity has the right to wear religious clothing or clothing to cover the student’s body consistent with the student’s religious beliefs. If the student is wearing an athletic uniform, additional clothing may not substantially cover the athletic uniform.
With regard to a student’s participation in an athletic activity, a school may not impose requirements relating to religious clothing or additional clothing worn for religious reasons that violate the student’s religious or moral beliefs.