GC – Community Use of School Facilities

Community Use of School Facilities

Civic Center—

Public school buildings and grounds are civic centers and shall be used by District residents for supervised recreational activities and meetings, subject to the requirements and restrictions set forth below. Use of school property as a civic center may not interfere with a school function or purpose and is considered a “permit” for governmental immunity purposes.

Utah Code § 53G-7-209 (2018)

Civic Center Use Limited to District Residents—

            School buildings and grounds are only available for civic center use to organizers who are residents of the District. Requests for civic center use must be accompanied by appropriate documentation of the requester’s residence within the District.

Utah Code § 53G-7-209(4) (2018)

Fees for Use of School Property for Civic Center Purposes—

The Board may set and charge a reasonable fee for the use of school property as a civic center to fully compensate the District for any and all expenses incurred in that use. The fee charged may take into account increased overhead expense, including utilities, personnel, and other areas affected by use of the facilities.

Utah Code § 53G-7-210(2)(c) (2018)

Special Functions Officer—

The Board may appoint a District security officer or student resource officer as a special functions officer. The special functions officer shall have charge of the grounds and shall take reasonable measures to protect school property when used for civic center purposes.

Utah Code § 53G-7-210(2)(d) (2018)

Utah Code § 53-13-105(1)(b)(v) (2022)

Duties of School Principal—

The Principal, subject to approval of the Superintendent, shall allow the use of school facilities and shall also be responsible for collection of monies, notification of personnel involved (custodian, lunch manager, or technician), and the determination of free use of the building according to policy.

Rental of School Facilities—

The rental of school facilities for other than school use shall be according to the following guidelines:

  1. Application for rental will be made with the principal of the school. Application requires the signatures of the applicant, principal and Superintendent.
  2. Rental rates will be determined according to the rental rate as approved by the Board of Education.
  3. Payments will be collected by the Principal, recorded, and sent to the District Office with a copy of the original application.
  4. Cancellations will be reported to the District Office.
  5. Personnel charges will be added according to the rates listed on the rental schedule.
  6. The Principal shall submit to the District a report of the use of building or grounds.
  7. The Principal shall report questionable use or activity connected with rental of facilities.
  8. A certificate of liability insurance is required with limits of not less than $500,000. The District shall be named as an additional insured. (This provision (8) can only be waived in writing by the Board of Education.) A Hold Harmless Agreement shall also be entered into.


The principal shall be responsible for adequate supervision of the school during rental hours. Any non-school group occupying school property shall provide adult supervision adequate to maintain order and prevent the destruction of school property. Facilities shall not be available at the time of use unless the supervisor or supervisors are present as agreed. At the time of rental, arrangements shall be made for adequate supervision. School supervision shall consist of a minimum of one custodian to care for the interest of the District and its property. In the absence of the principal, the custodian shall be in complete charge of the building and grounds.

Supervision and Use of Equipment, Building and Grounds—

Arrangements for adequate supervision shall be made in keeping with the use for which the rental is made to ensure proper conduct in and around the building and the proper care of the school and its equipment.

Inadvisable Uses—

The Board may refuse to permit the use of school property as a civic center if it determines the use interferes with a school function or purpose.

Utah Code § 53G-7-209(3) (2018)

Standards of Behavior—

The principal of the school shall accept application from only those groups who can assure adherence to the standards of behavior of the school. Tobacco, electronic cigarette products, intoxicating drinks, and boisterous conduct are expressly prohibited. The following will not be tolerated and are expressly prohibited by the Board:

  1. vandalism;
  2. use without consent, or abuse of school furniture or other school property; and,
  3. misappropriation or abuse of books, supplies, or athletic equipment belonging to the school or to its students. School athletic equipment may only be used with prior approval of the principal.

Use of Practice Fields and Other School Ground Facilities—

The use of school ground facilities will be allowed at no cost provided fields are not abused or used during extremely wet conditions or other times when the field would be damaged.

Community groups such as Little League Football will be allowed to use specified areas of the school grounds as approved by the Principal.

Due to excessive use of the regular playing fields within the regular school program, the necessity of keeping certain playing fields in top condition for school league play, makes the regular use of these fields by non-school groups impractical.

High school stadiums are available to community organizations; however, the stadiums shall not be used at any time that would interfere with a school function or purpose.

Any other equipment rental requests shall be made to the Principal; such requests shall be granted upon the approval of the Principal.

Political Signs on School Property—

            A “political sign” is any sign or document that advocates the election or defeat of a candidate for public office or the approval or defeat of a ballot proposition. Schools and the school district are not required to allow the posting of political signs on school property. However, if the district or a district administrator or their designee posts or permits the posting of a political sign on school property, then the district shall also permit the posting of all other political signs, subject to the same requirements and restrictions. Any requirements or restrictions placed on the posting of political signs must be politically neutral and content neutral.

            Approval for posting of a political sign may only be given by a building principal or higher-level administrator, or the designee of such an administrator.

Utah Code § 20A-17-103 (2015)