A few weeks ago I talked about the “What Counts” meeting that was held in Tropic with community representatives from Panguitch, Hatch, Bryce City, Antimony, Tropic, Cannonville, Henrieville, Escalante, Boulder and Salt Gulch. The purpose of the meeting was to listen to the communities suggestions on the educational process in the District. The first question the public addressed was, “What are the promises we must keep regarding education to parents and the community?” The responses were ranked by public and the prioritized list is as follows:
- To involve parents and the community in the educational process.
- To have high expectations of all students based on individual interests and abilities.
- To provide quality teachers.
- To provide students with strong academics in the core/basic areas.
- To provide opportunities for students to become critical thinkers.
- To provide students with choices and options beyond the core.
- To prepare students for college and careers.
- To provide a safe and enriching learning environment
The second question addressed was, “What are the characteristics of a quality school?” The public responses are as follows:
- Parent/Community partnership
- Accommodating individual student needs and interests
- Quality teachers
- Academic Excellence – basic/core
- Independent and critical thinking skills
- Learning options and opportunities beyond the core
- College and career readiness
Now that the Garfield County School Board has this valuable information, what is next? The School Board will take this information to set an educational vision for the District which can align future decisions to correlate with the community expectations.
I also wanted to pass along some important dates to remember on upcoming events. The following dates and locations will hold public meetings to discuss the “ten period” block schedule in the High Schools: May 14th at 5:00PM at Bryce Valley High School, May 15th at 5:00PM at Panguitch High School, May 16th at 6:00PM at Escalante High School.
High School Graduation dates will be as follows: Escalante High School May 23rd at 8:00 pm, Panguitch High School May 24th at 7:00PM, and Bryce Valley High School May 25th at 8:00PM.
–Superintendent Ben Dalton